Monday, November 22, 2010

Flexcut Detail Knife And Strop Review - Christmas Gift Idea?

Christmas is on the way and some of you out there are going to be doing a lot of shopping this week.  So, I thought I might do a review on a potential gift for someone.  If you or a loved one has a desire to take up wood carving, this review is for you.

This review is about the Flexcut Detail Carving Knife.  I personally own one and I positively love it.  It comes razor sharp right out of the package.  And when I say razor sharp, I mean it.  The blade is finely polished to a micro edge.

I found the handle comfortable and easy to grip.  It seems the older I get the more stiff my hands get when using tools like this, but I found the handle on this knife to work well for me.

One of the first projects I did with this knife was a Welsh Love Spoon.  Here are a couple pictures of it.


Shown above is the spoon in it's beginning stages along with the 3 main tools I used to make it.  The center tool is the Flexcut Detail Knife.  I used walnut for this project.  Walnut is not easy to carve and a razor sharp knife like this one makes life a lot easier and safer.  It has always been my opinion that more cuts happen from a knife slip, due to a dull blade than any other cause.  When you are using a dull knife you tend to try and force the knife instead of letting it smoothly and easily do it's job.


Below is the finished spoon.


I gave this one away as a birthday gift.

All in all, this knife is a pleasure to use.  Like any carving tool it will need to be sharpened often.  I use a Flexcut Slip Strop Sharpening System like this one.



It's easy to use and was designed specifically for use with Flexcut Knives.  It also won't cost you a fortune. 

If you are out looking at wood carving tools for Christmas, let me give you my best advice about buying them.  What you will find out there is a lot of cheap discount carving that look like great deals.  Sometimes you can get these bargain sets that will include 5 or 6 knives for $20 or less.  It might sound like a great deal, but with tools you generally get what you pay for.  What I tell people is that I would much rather see them buy 1 good knife like a Flexcut, than 6 cheap ones for the same money.

I like this tool.  It did everything it was supposed to do and after doing several projects, it is still in great shape.  I highly recommend it and give it 5 pink hardhats out of 5.



Have fun shopping this week and be safe.



Do you have a company that needs a tool or product reviewed?  You can email me for details at

2 comments:

ticc said...

Hi Rory!
Beautiful work and spoon. Hope all is well, and hope you have a wonderful day!!!!

Doris Sturm said...

This is marvelous! I love wooden crafts and anything wood. I come from a long line of carpenters and should have taken on the profession... thanks so much for sharing your talent with us.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!