This was a 1970s dresser that I bought at auction for $5.00. I wanted a fun "beachy" look, and went out on a limb with this one. My inspiration for the color was an abalone shell. In an attempt to recreate it, I used a base coat of silver. On top of that I added two different colors of blue. I rubbed off alot of the paint before it was dry and then blotted on some amber shellac. The shellac caused some of the blue to turn varied shades of green.
As if that wasn't enough, I applied 3 coats of semi-gloss polyurethane, and hand rubbed the finish between coats.
I used a paste wax to give it some lustre.
The result was a finish that is almost iridescent, and a color that seems to change depending on the available light. It is satiny smooth to the touch and the poly makes it super tough.
Now it's time for all of you to tell me what think of this one. I promise not to be offended if you don't like it. I realize it is not one of those kinds of things that appeal to everyone. It is more like one of those runway models with crazy hair, too much makeup, and peacock feathers on her dress, that everyone has a different opinion of.
Let's hear what you have to say.
Please be sure visit my Link Party Directory to see over 100 parties that are going on this week, and who I am linking up with today!