Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dresser Makeover By Guest Contributor Beverly from Green Gracie Home


I would like to introduce all of you to a friend of mine. She is Beverly from Green Gracie Home and it is my pleasure to have her here today as a guest contributor. One of the things that impresses me with this fine craftswoman is that she is not afraid think outside the traditional painting box. Her project today is an example of that.

And, here she is........


I want to thank Rory for allowing me to share my little makeover with you. But also for his belief in every woman's ability to use tools and imparting a little "know how" to us.


This dresser was tired and its yellow color was no longer bright and lemony, but instead looked just plain dirty. But the legs called to me and the pure size. Then I opened the drawers and this beauty was solid and well made. The tag inside said American of Martinsville. I had to dig, but originally it was a company of Amish furniture builders. No wonder it was heavy. So, I bought it and brought it home to my garage until I could find it a home.


It found its home in a master bedroom makeover. The walls in this room are BLUE and to temper it, silvers, taupes and grays are coming in.



The dresser began like this:







So, I used TSP and a liquid deglosser.






The wall paint was Behr Premium that has primer in it. I wanted the same blue to come through in the end, so I used it as my base coat.





Next, I silver leafed all of the drawers and the two doors:






I let a little of the blue "peek" through as I was leafing.






I did not leaf the body of the dresser or the interior drawers. I painted those with Benjamin Moore silver metallic paint. I wanted a very subtle variation in color:






Then a final antique glaze over the entire thing:






Detail shot:






Dresser now that it is done:






I love the knobs the owner selected. They are different than what I had originally envisioned, but they help the dresser bridge the gap between antique and modern.


I hope you enjoyed my little makeover.


Beverly



Beverly, thank you for your great post today. I really enjoyed seeing someone use silver leaf in furniture project. It is one of those techniques that I think every faux finisher should take the time to learn.


To all of my readers:

Please stop by Green Gracie Home and say hello to Beverly. It because of craftswomen and bloggers like her, that Tools Are For Women Too is so relevant and successful.

Here is her link.


By the way, If you would like to become a guest contributor for Tools Are For Women Too! like Beverly did, drop me a line. I would love to chat with you about it.

31 comments:

Shaunna said...

Wonderful post and great job, Beverly! Beautiful and unique!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Talk about glam! Well done!

Holly Lefevre said...

I saw this on her blog and love it...I am seriously considering doing it on a buffet I bought.

Micah said...

You did a great job!!! I think it came out absolutely wonderful!!!
-Micah- http://finerthingsinlife-micah.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the sweet comments, I really have enjoyed being "here" today!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the sweet comments, I really have enjoyed being "here" today!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the sweet comments, I really have enjoyed being "here" today!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

this. is. AWESOME.

'nuff said. :)

Nikki said...

Thats awesome! Thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day!!!!!! :)

gone said...

Hello, I am your newest follower! Great blog!
Stay Fabulous
Chara
http://www.charasjewelcandy.blogspot.com/
www.charasjewelcandy.etsy.com

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Show me the money! Looks like a million bucks!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Show me the money! Looks like a million bucks!

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great post, Rory. Am headed over to Beverly's blog next.

Thanks so much for visiting the other day. I may do a couple of murals in the house where I did the faux finish. Hopefully, the vanity & mirror will be installed by then. If so, I'll be sure and take pics because it'll really set the wall finish off.

Jenny said...

You have a really neat blog - I definitely have to follow!!

I love this post - Beverly did a great job and proved that tools are definitely for women too!!!

Kenzie said...

This is gorgeous! I never would have thought about silver leafing a dresser, but I love the color/texture/sheen it adds!

Icy BC said...

That's a beautiful dresser and I like the knobs too. Very pretty!

René said...

Wow. Very chic!

-Rene

Brandy said...

I love the way it turned out. So pretty!!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

That is stunning! Good job.

Lana Kim White Austin said...

Your guest writer did a great job on that redo. The blue peeking out is superb as is the combination of silver leaf and the silver paint.


Hugs,
Lana

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

What a beautiful job she did!

Julie said...

great job! such a big project for leafing!

SewPaperPaint said...

This is DIVINE!!! It would also look great with a mirrored top/sides. Great idea, love the finished result.
~ Autumn Clark

Thrifty Chic said...

What a great redo I bet that looks wonderful in your master bedroom

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

WOW I can't believe it's the same dresser, it looks amazing!

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

What a great dresser! Seeing all of your posts is helping to to take courage and go for it! Thanks so much for linking to Messy Monday.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Visiting from House of Grace party. Love how the dresser turned out. I never would have thought to do silver over the blue!

Laura said...

Oh my gosh.
While I was reading your post I called my daughter over to look.
We have wanted to silver leaf something for a while now.

You did a great job!

Laura
White Spray Paint

I linked to the same party-
stop by if you have time.

Michelle said...

Oh wow! This is awesome! Great job! :o)

Lessons Learned said...

oh i am in love with the silver leafing. great now i gotta go find me a dresser to redo. hahaha

Anonymous said...

I love the silver leaf!
This dresser looks stunning, wow.