Sunday, July 4, 2010

Wedding Card Birdhouse

This wedding card box is bird friendly! I built this one to create an over the top gift card box for weddings with a bird theme.

I am not sure what is about me, but I am the kind of guy that can never just build a plain old birdhouse. Too funny.

I used reclaimed picture frame molding on this one, some of which is over 100 years old.


I also built a second, interchangeable roof for it. That way the bride has a choice after the wedding is over. She can keep it with the slotted roof as an indoor vignette accessory. Or change the roof over to the one that does not have the card slot and use it outdoors as an over the top, country french birdhouse.





4 small screws and about 2 minutes is all it takes to switch roof tops. Removing the roof is also the way that the cards are accessed later. I designed it this way to keep the bride and groom's money cards more secure.




This pic should give you an idea of what it might look like under a tree at the couple's new home.



I also left a small space above the heart shaped doorway to make room for an engraved plate, just in case a new bride would like it personalized.



The antique picture frame molding that I used for the roof top is incredibly detailed.






I love the porch columns and the trim that wraps around the side of the house. It took a lot of extra materials to get the look I was going for. But I think it was worth it in the end.





Hope you enjoyed my little wedding box birdhouse. If you know of a bride who might like it, I have it for sale on Etsy. I have only one of these available though.

I have also thought about making smaller wedding birdhouses for table centerpieces.
Let me know how you like this new project of mine. It turned out to be a lot more involved that I thought it would be, but it was really a fun one. I am interested in your comments, as always.


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rory...I would love to renew my vows just to use that birdhouse! Gorgeous!

Pieced Pastimes said...

Your birdhouse turned out gorgeous! You have such a clever mind. Love how you used a vintage picture frame for the trim - just lovely!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great idea! I'm such a sentimental sap, that this really made me smile. :)
gail

Decor To Adore said...

This is incredible!

I have a fun post planned on Monday and Wednesday is a giveaway so please stop by.

ClassyChassy said...

What a neat idea! Versatile and so creative!

Theresa Plas said...

Really exquisite piece! So clever to have interchangeable roofs. The details are beautiful!

Unknown said...

Wow!! I am uber-impressed!!

Anne Maskell said...

Your birdhouse is fabulous! I'd love to have one. I would keep it inside though,I'd be too selfish to share it with the birds! I'm visiting with MMM, hope you visit me too.

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Anne, This particular birdhouse is available on Etsy along with others. Just click on one of the birdhouses on the sidebar (that is not maked sold) and it will lead you to the site where you can own one if you want.

Thank you for stopping by.

Rory

Amber D said...

Bummer a year to late (my wedding was last July) this would have been perfect. It is gorgous you are a great craftsman.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Any "cottage loving" bird would be thrilled to live in that bird house!
Brenda

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

What a darling bird house and so unique!!

Love it!!

Debbie

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hi Rory! Love your wedding card birdhouse idea. The trim and columns are great and add such a nice touch ~ I like it just for the idea of being a birdhouse! Nice option to offer for changing out the roof, too.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

you are so creative and the birdhouse turns out very pretty too and unique too!

Andrea said...

Such a cute birdhouse!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

That looks gorgeous!

Unknown said...

This is a great one too! You thought of everything! I just love your birdhouses!
{Rebekah}

Sylvia said...

Super cute..love all the details..

Sylvia

Barbara said...

This is just lovely! My husband builds birdhouses but nothing like this one.

AUDRA said...

WOW! you're amazing!

I'm visiting from Tip Junkie!

Unknown said...

LOVE the idea of using it for cards! And the little window...AMAZING! Thanks for joining us for Anything Related #14!! ~Bridgette