Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Build the Best Wirework Toolbox


After you have begun wireworking you will eventually realize that it will be advantageous to put together a toolbox specifically for your wirework. If you have been following along with my past few tutorials I have already detailed some of the tools needed for this particular craft. Many of the designs on my etsy site, Sunset & Vine, are made with the use of my wirework toolbox and going forward in the future with my tutorials it will benefit you if you have a toolbox of your own or are at least familiar with the tools used.


To build a great toolbox for wirework you will need the following:
  • Anvil or bench block, I prefer to work with a bench block, great for hammering.
  • Cutters, flush, side or end.
  • Hammers, Chasing, Ball peen, currently I use a chasing hammer and a household hammer.
  • Rawhide Mallet, great for strengthening wire and soft shaping.
  • Mandrels or dowels, I use caps,lids, bottles, really anything that has the shape I need.
  • Needle files, cup burr, critical for smoothing rough edges.
  • Pliers, chainnose, roundnose.
  • Sandpaper
  • Polishing Cloth
  • Liver of Sulfur, which is another thing entirely that I will go into in another tutorial.


Once you have the built the best toolbox based on your needs you will be able to do almost any tutorial involving wirework. I know this is a short and simple post but I think it is great to know the building blocks for the work we will be doing together in the future. If anyone has any questions or would like to request a particular tutorial please contact me by email-sunsetandvine@live.com.




Are you interested in becoming a part of the "Tools Team" and being a regular contributing writer?  Just email Rory for details.

No comments: