Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Griselda - Friends And Paying It Forward


I am never sure how to thank people properly for their generosity except to just say thanks. It never seems enough for me, probably because it's not.


Since I started "paying it forward", I apparently touched a few lives out there, even if in a small way. Recently Griselda, from Original Art By Griselda, wrote a post about how I inspired her. It came to me completely unexpected. Posts like hers are a real gift to me. When I read the words she wrote, I was once again reminded that followers and analytics are not the true measure of success in the grand scheme of things. It's friends.


I know that some of you out there are struggling just a little bit. Sales are slow in a lot of the stores, and building followers can be a tough uphill battle. Some of you have tried seemingly everything to make your site a success, and are having trouble. It is a common scenario. This is incredibly unfortunate, because the great talent that so many of you have, never gets the attention it deserves.


I would like to urge a few of you who don't know what to try next to take some advice from me. Here it is.........


1.) Put the whole follower thing out of your mind for a week or so. Relax. Slow down. Take a deep breath. Chasing followers will only continue to drive you crazy anyway, so let's get that monkey off your back right now. No more worrying about followers for a while.


2.) Concentrate instead on making true friends with other sellers and bloggers. Pay it forward. Do a few favors. Expect nothing in return. It is not the followers that will make you successful, it is the number of friends you have.


For those of you who are into math, look at it his way....


Friends = Followers, Sales, Hearts, Links


If you put Friends on the back end of that equation, it just doesn't work. Friends first, then everything else falls into place.


As crazy as it might sound, worrying too much about your success will ultimately make you unsuccessful. So, stop worrying, have some fun, and meet a few people. I guarantee success........ as long as you don't expect it.


Thank you Griselda for your wonderful post about me. It reminded me again of what's important. It is a pleasure having you as a friend.


If you would like to read what Griselda wrote about me, go to her site Here, and scroll down to her post entitled " In The Flow Of Abundance And Creativity".

2 comments:

ennadoolf said...

well said. :)

Griselda said...

Awww....I had not see this!
I feel so touched, because this kind of thing, goes around and around.
You are so right...when we get obsessive about sales is not only that we need to make money, it is also that we are emotionally attached to what we create, when that sale shows up, we get money and positive feedback, that we have done well, that someone out there found our art acceptable enough to make a check and is now finding a home. At least that is what my little dolls think...I am not the obsessive one...LMAO

Rory, you are amazing, when I think of something and share it with you...you are already there and taking it to the next level, so, not to add to what you are already doing so well, I just need to leave here a link that has helped me with that monkey on my back...when it sits there watching me think...or thinking for me I should say. I hope this serves.
http://www.emotional-times.com/2007/08/how-to-stop-obsessive-thoughts.html
Your advise is so great...relax...and do something for someone else, specially if this something is something you love, a service, something you don't need to ship, mail or spend more money doing.
I will give you one more idea (sure you already thought about it) How about helping another artist with his/her blog...it is so easy to lend a hand this way, it is free and it takes just a few minutes. Okay, I am out of here.
Hugs to you and everyone who wants to grab a hug from me...many blessings too.
Griselda